Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Put Me in the Zoo

Yesterday the kids and I drove to Birmingham for a little trip to the zoo. We met my sister Sara and her kids and a few of her in-laws, the Archibalds, there. We had a fun (and hot!) few hours strolling through the zoo. Well, the adults strolled while the kids ran. Why is it that kids only seem to have one speed (full out sprint) when at touring/look-see type locations? By the time we made it home I was B-E-A-T, worn out, and wilted!

Obviously not wilted by the heat, this little guy was putting on quite a show!


On a sidenote, I'm two days away from completing the Couch to 5k program I started a few months ago. I cannot fathom the fact that I can now run for 25 minutes straight! It's incredible! Usually I have my BRF (best running friend) Mallory with me, but yesterday I was solo. It was daunting, but thankfully there was a pregnant woman on a treadmill at the UA rec center. You may wonder why that is significant. Let me tell you...I wanted to stop. I wanted to quit running. I didn't think I could make it for 25 minutes all alone. See, Mallory is about 10 years younger than me and she's my motivation. I make myself keep pace with her. Anyway, I didn't have her yesterday and I was scared I'd couldn't hang. Enter aforementioned pregnant lady on treadmill. I saw her and I knew I had to run as long as the pregnant lady. Y'all, I will not be outdone by a pregnant lady (nevermind I don't know this lady and she could be a marathoner for all I know)! So I ran and ran and ran and after a while I noticed she wasn't on the treadmill anymore and I was at about 20 minutes. So, thank you unknown pregnant lady for being my motivation! Without you I may not have made my current record.

All in all, it was a sweaty, runny, happy day! I hope your summer is shaping up to be that way, too!

Much Love,

2 comments:

Sara said...

Go you! Glad you finished your run...whatever it takes!

MamaHen said...

You go girl!!!! I am just starting and I would not make it five minutes straight. But I'm better than I was before!

So proud of you!